from the top!
|The River South
Esk rises on the western slope of Blackhope Scar in the Moorfoot Hills.
From the benchmark on the summit, the windmills on Emly Bank and Browbeat
Hill can be seen. On its way down hill, the river flows passed the
remains of the 16th century Hirendean Castle and there are wonderful
views of Midlothian looking over the Reservoir to the Pentlands, Arthur's
Seat and across the Forth to Fife.
Reservoir, opened in 1879, is the first of a series of reservoirs
built on the South Esk to increase the water supply to the Edinburgh
area. At 186 ha (460 acres) it is the largest area of freshwater
in the Lothians. It is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and
is a winter roost for many wildfowl, particularly thousands of
pink footed geese. Although there is a footpath around the reservoir,
access to the shoreline is restricted during the breeding season
in the spring.
|The river then
flows into the very deep Rosebery Reservoir which was opened in 1885.
These reservoirs along with nearby Edgelaw are popular with fishermen
for catches of pike and brown and rainbow trout. The Rosebery Water
Treatment Works were built in the 1940s, extended in 1965 and 1989,
and are presently being upgraded again. The woodlands around Edgelaw
and Rosebery provide some of the heron breeding sites in Midlothian.
the older reservoirs in the Lothians were no longer adequate to
meet the demand for water in the Edinburgh area, the Megget Reservoir
in the Borders was built in the 1980s. It supplies 100 million litres
of water to the Lothians daily, the water being distributed to Gladhouse
and Glencorse Reservoirs for intermediate storage or going directly
to various treatment plants in Edinburgh and Midlothian.
river now flows through the Rosebery Estate where nearby Rosebery
House, plain and largely 19th century, was built on the site of the
older mansion house of Clerkington. Of more interest is the castellated
Rosebery farm steading buildings with a clock tower which is also
a doocot. At one time pigeons were farmed for food and were allowed
to feed freely in the fields but later their indiscriminate feeding
habits of eating crops were seen as a nuisance and they were fed in
the yard like poultry. The Earl of Rosebery encouraged farm improvements
in the early 1800s as can be seen further downstream at Carrington